Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Letting the Technology Speak for Itself!

Using Animated Video in Class by aubrey928 on GoAnimate

Video Maker - Powered by GoAnimate. I'm always looking for fun ways to engage students in my classes. A friend showed me xtranormal.com the other day (similar to goanimate.com) and really, the possibilities are endless. I prefer xtranormal to goanimate, but you have to pay for it (though they have an educators option). I do think that I will use this website with my students when we begin to learn about using dialogue in our writing. I will probably try to make a generic log-in for all the students to use and then have them post their videos to their blogs as soon as they finish them. I have often found that dialogue can be a monotonous topic to teach and website such as this would help to spice it up a bit for my upper elementary kidos! :)

4 comments:

  1. The animate tool seems like a great addition to the classroom when working with teaching students to participate in and write dialogue. It visually illustrates the give and take and allows for students to see the interconnectedness that makes dialogue successful (or painful). I don’t teach dialogue in my classrooms but we do practice active classroom participation and listening and having students analyze a conversation that they watch might help make the points more clear to them. Are you able to show the characters doing other things (like sitting and slumping vs sitting tall and looking at the speaker)? I also think that I could use a tool like alongside an assigned reading. After modeling one or two, students could be required to develop a movie that asks and answers several questions about the reading. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the free versions, I'm not sure that you can manipulate movement. I know that for xtranormal.com, with a paid education account, you can make awesome videos where you control all sound, movements and facial expressions. And it's super easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aubrey
    Thanks for sharing! I love it. I already have several ideas, and am going to try to put together something for tomorrow to prompt some journal writing. I like it for illustrating dialogue, which is always difficult to teach in 6th grade. I also appreciate Christine's idea about having students develop questions from a reading. I wonder if you could collate a few samples into one video? That would be an interesting way to have students create an exam...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aubrey, xtranormal is alot of fun to watch and see other people's videos on YouTube. I think this is a great way to entice students to really focus on dialogue, especially since the tone is monotone, and there is limited movement. The words really have to be a great descritption of the conversation and context. I also think that this format will be pretty enticing for students since they can pick their characters and settings. Exciting thoughts!
    Thanks! Sarah

    ReplyDelete